Saturday, November 8, 2008

Homemade Corn Chips

I grew up in northern Illinois and not only were there corn fields everywhere, we grew sweet corn in a full acre of our garden. When I went to college at Northern Illinois University, I was surrounded by Dekalb Ag cornfields. I enjoy corn so much there have been many times I chose to have nothing but corn to eat for a meal. Unfortunately I live in Florida now and the fresh sweet corn here is akin what we used to feed animals - and not very tasty. I guess you could say that I was spoiled by the "good stuff". A sub-tropical climate isn't very conducive for producing very good sweet corn!

I'm not a big fan of snacks, but these are tasty and easy to make. I usually have the large food-service size cans on hand, but these probably taste a little better when you are using fresh or frozen corn.

4 c. sweet corn kernels
1/2 t. garlic powder

Chop corn in food processor until finely chopped. Add garlic powder (and other ingredients if you wish) and process until well combined.

Spread about 1/8" thick on dehydrator tray. If you wish, you can sprinkle small amount of sea salt over mixture. Score in small rectangular pieces (or preferred shape).

Dehydrate about 5 hours, or to desired crispness. Store in an air tight container.

Options to add to mixture:

  • 1 teaspoon tomato powder
  • 1 t chili powder
  • 1 T fresh lime juice

These also make a great option to serve with soup instead of using crackers.

Note: If you are using frozen corn, make sure that it is thawed and well-drained.

I will post a recipe here later using cornmeal, but this is a fresher, living foods version.

No comments: