Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Citrus, mango and cranberry relish

Every fall I try something new with fresh cranberries since I'm always able to find them at a good price. I'm in Florida so I thought something with citrus and mangos would be appropriate.

The Sucanat® (dehydrated cane juice) has a naturally high molasses content so I am going to try some Sucanat® with honey (dehydrated cane juice w/molasses pulled out and honey added) - I think the molasses flavor would be too strong to go solely with regular Sucanat®.

I haven't yet tried this, but based on other recipes I have made several times using orange juice, I think this should work out great!

3 C fresh cranberries
1/2 C Sucanat®
1/4 C Sucanat® w/honey
1/2 C orange flesh (should be about 2 oranges - remove pithy part, need the zest - see below)
1/4 C lemon flesh (should be about 1 lemon - remove pithy part, need the zest - see below)
1 large mango, peeled and chopped
3/4 C red onion, chopped small
zest from 2 oranges, 1 lemon and 1 lime
Juice from 1 lime

In a heavy saucepan, cook the cranberries and cane juices, together with the flesh from the lemons and oranges, and stir until the mixture thickens and the cranberries begin to split open. Lower the heat and add the mango, onion and lime juice, and simmer occasionally for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in zest. Chill and serve.

Note: The grain co-op I am in has switched from Sucanat® to Savannah Gold®. There shouldn't be any difference except that the Savannah Gold® Molasses Granules is the same as Sucanat® and the Savannah Gold® Honey Granules is the same as Sucanat® w/honey.

No comments: