Friday, October 17, 2008

Black Bean, Corn and Chorizo Soup

I haven't yet tried this recipe, but was trying to think of a combination of ingredients to put together for a soup that would work well with tacos. I may add a little chili powder - undecided about that yet. Instead of the tomato sauce, I will probably use some of the stewed tomatoes I canned earlier this summer. I will be making this for someone in a little over a week - I'll update how they liked it.

Update 10/31/2008: Tried it and I think it came out great. Waiting to hear their feedback. I did add 2 T of chili powder (modifying the recipe now). Instead of the banana peppers I used 2 seeded fresh jalapenos (forgot to put on disposable gloves before I did and my fingers were burning all afternoon!) and a dozen or so slices of pickled jalapenos. I used 2 quart jars of stewed tomatoes I canned instead of the cans of tomato sauce.

If you try this, please let me know it worked for you. I will be putting it in a crockpot instead of simmering for the last 30 minutes. This way the soup is ready when they are ready to eat - even if it is 3 or 4 hours later.

1-1/2 lbs chorizo sausage
2 large carrots, diced small
1 large onion, diced small
4 banana peppers, minced
7 cups chicken or turkey broth, strained (can substitute canned broth)
1 lb (dried weight) soft-cooked black beans or 3 cans
2 lbs kernel corn
2 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 T ground cumin
Juice of 2 limes

In a frying pan, combine sausage with casings removed (the sausage I bought didn't have a casing), carrots, peppers, and onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the sausage is browned and crumbled in small pieces. Drain excess grease from sausage (I blotted a couple of paper towels over the top to absorb the grease)..

Put meat mixture in a pot and stir in broth, beans, corn, tomato sauce, ground cumin, and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a half hour, stirring from time to time.

Garnish with sour cream and cheese.

Optional: Garnish with diced scallions.

If you prefer a little more heat, you may substitute the banana peppers with 2 or 3 seeded jalapeño peppers.

Many times I cook chicken (and every time I cook turkey) I cook the bones with some meat on it together with some veggies to make my own broth. I strain it and freeze it for future use.

No comments: